Cat Large Wheel Loaders are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to move more material efficiently and safely at a lower cost per ton. Introduced in 1990, the 994 has become the top customer choice in its size class for the last 25 years. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series’ legacy of reliability, safety, operator comfort, serviceability and sustainability.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces to maximize life of mounted components.
- Frames utilize castings in key areas to maximize frame durability and optimize efficiency.
- Rear axle mounting to frame optimized to better disperse loads for increased structural integrity.
Your key to maximum uptime and productivity is our field-proven lift arms.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhanced strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Stress relieved lift arms increase durability.
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design and standard automatic lubrication system.
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) and Rimpull Control System (RCS)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC and RCS for modulated rimpull.
- Reduce tire slippage and wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 25 percent while depressing left pedal. After 25 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency with RCS.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles and less operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Long life and reliability through heat treated gears and metallurgy.
- Three forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat 3516E Engine
Durability and reliability continues in the 994K with the proven 3500 Series engines. At the heart of the 994K is the new 3516E engine. Optimum performance is built in through the use of a 16-cylinder, four-stroke design.
- On-demand performance through the use of turbochargers and aftercoolers.
- High Torque Rise – 39% torque rise ensures high lugging forces during digging and acceleration in high rimpull conditions.
- Extended engine life through a longer stroke and lower rpm ratings.
- Quick engine response through the use of electronic controls.
Enabling maximum productivity and efficiency, all day every day. The 994K systems work hard to save you fuel through advanced technologies. Utilizing On Demand Throttle, operators maintain normal operation with the left pedal and implements while the 994K manages the engine speed.
- Provides similar control and feel to our traditional throttle lock feature.
- Efficiency of manual throttle and the ergonomics of throttle lock.
Positive Flow Control Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Positive Flow Control (PFC) Hydraulic System. PFC has concurrent pump and valve control. By optimizing pump control, hydraulic oil flow is proportionate to implement lever movement.
- Fast, productive cycles enabled by four electronically controlled, fully variable piston pumps.
- Increased bucket feel and control.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Increase operator productivity with these implement features.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Confident loader operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 994K’s load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Efficient variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 40 degrees of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Lift/tilt case drain filters.
- Lift/tilt high pressure screens.
- Steering case drain filters.
- Steering high pressure screens.
- Hydraulic case drain filters.
- Power train filters for transmission, torque converter, and pump drives.
- Front and rear brake oil screens.
- A standard demand fan to improve efficiency and cooling performance.
- Optional high ambient package for hot climate conditions.
- Optional fan control to enable proper cooling performance in cold weather.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Deluxe Operator Seat
Enhance comfort and reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Available heated and ventilated seat featuring leather seat bolster surfaces.
- High back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
Safely train other operators in comfort with our standard training seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide, retractable seat belt.
- Fold-down design with molded drink tray and storage.
Your operator’s productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from viscous cab mounts and air seat suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with pressure indicator.
- Low operator sound levels.
- Available heated and ventilated seats featuring leather covered seat bolster and headrest.
994K Standard Equipment
- Back-up alarm
- Alternator (225 amp)
- Dry batteries
- 10/15 amp, 24V to 12V converter
- Disconnect switch in bumper
- LED warning lights (pattern selectable)
- LED lighting system (working lights, access and service platform lights, turn signals/hazard lights)
- Emergency jump start receptacle
- Starter and transmission lockout in bumper
- Combined VIMS download and Cat Electronic Technician service port in bumper
- 24V starting and charging system
- Electric starters
- Air conditioner
- Cab pressure indicator
- Cab is sound suppressed and pressurized with separate external rollover protective structure (ROPS/FOPS) radio ready for entertainment, includes antenna, speakers and converter (12-volt 5-amp) and power port
- Cat Vision (rear vision camera system)
- Coat hook
- Lift and tilt function controls
- Graphical touchscreen information display, conveys real time operating information and payload measurement
- Heater, defroster, auto temperature controls
- Electric (field and shop) horns
- Gauge instrumentation: – Coolant temperature – Hydraulic oil temperature – Fuel level – Power train oil temperature – Engine speed (tachometer) – Transmission gear – Ground speed – Engine hour meter
- Warning indicator instrumentation: – Three category action alert system – Brake malfunction – Bucket float status – Delayed engine shutdown status – Engine idle shutdown status – Engine malfunction – Fuel economy mode enable status – Hydraulic lockout – Lockup clutch enable status – Low fuel level – Parking brake status – Quick shift enable status – Rimpull control enable status – Seat belt warning – Secondary steering – Throttle lock status – Transmission gear – Turn signal
- Keypad control with indicator lights: – Fuel economy mode – Implement kickouts – Lockup clutch – Manual lube – Quickshift enable – Rimpull control system – Side rearview mirror heater – Throttle lock – Turn signals (Dash backlight control) – Hazard lights
- Dome light in cab
- Lunchbox and beverage holders
- Rearview mirrors (externally mounted)
- Retractable seat belt, 76 mm (3 in) wide
- Cat Comfort (cloth), air suspension, six-way adjustable seat
- Trainer seat with lap belt, 76 mm (3 in) wide
- STIC system
- Sun screen, pull down (front and rear)
- Tinted glass
- VIMS with Information Display: external data port, Cycle Timer, integrated Cat Production Measurement
- Intermittent wet arm wipers/washers (front and rear)
- Service center: – Keypad, messenger, ET, VIMS, stairway lamp
- Oil cooled, multi-disc, service/secondary brakes
- Case drain filters
- Electro-hydraulic parking brake
- Engine, 3516E High Displacement (HD) Mechanical Electronic Unit Injector (MEUI™-A) Air-to-Air After Cooling (ATAAC) diesel, turbocharged/aftercooled
- Engine prelube
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Engine air intake (above hood) precleaner
- Radiator, Aluminum Modular Radiator (AMR)
- Automatic, ether starting aid
- Electronic throttle lock
- Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC) with Lock-Up Clutch (LUC) and rimpull control system
- Planetary powershift, 3F/3R electronic control transmission
- Hydraulic lash adjustment engine
- Automatic bucket lift/tilt kickout/positioner
- Automatic lubrication system
- Cat O-ring face seal couplings
- Lockable service access doors
- Ecology drains
- Economy Mode
- High speed engine oil change system
- Front frame access with steps
- Front walkway
- Ground level fast fill fuel system
- Transmission guard
- Drawbar hitch with pin
- Cat XT™ hoses
- Implement, steering and brake filtration/screening system
- Left side service center
- Mufflers (2)
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- Pump bay access ladders with T-handle and platform
- Rear access to cab and service platform
- Load sensing steering
- Supplemental steering system
- Tie-offs on ROPS and radiator guards
- Toe kicks
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Cooling cleanout service package
- Venturi stacks
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Wider stairs with 45 degree angles provide easy access for operators getting on and off the 994K.
- Wide walkways with non-skid surfaces and integrated lock out/tag out points are designed into the service areas.
- Windshield cleaning platforms provide safe and convenient access for the operator.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Emergency egress ladder provides a third exit, if needed.
- Cat Detect, which includes Cat Vision plus an optional object detection radar system, enhances operator awareness around the machine.
- Standard LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- LED warning lights, programmable for site-specific signaling.
- Six mirror system improves operator line of sight to the side and rear of the machine. Heated option also available.
- Standard pull down window shade.
- Higher cab position for improved visibility during truck loading operations.
- Viscous cab mounts and seat air suspension reduce vibrations from the machine to the operator.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belt with minder.
- Optional 4 point harness with minder.
- Operator training seat with standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belt facilitates safe new operator training.
Powered Access System
The Cat powered access system allows easier access to the primary stairs by improving ingress and egress to and from the rear platform.
- Safe, ergonomic access system.
- All operators have adequate space when using the wide stairway.
- Operators maintain three-point contact when using full handrails on each side.
- Raise and lower stairs from cab level or ground.